Sunday, October 12, 2008

YeeHAW! The county fair!

On Friday we picked Jaron up from work and went to the State Fair. It was opening night so we got in for $1 per person, the kids were free. Also, we went to the free parking and took the shuttle in. So for $2 we went to the fair. (Don't worry, they get you with the food and the rides!) We had so much fun. They had a petting zoo with camels, baby giraffe, ostrich, pigs, buffalo, etc. We also saw all the farm animals. Vienna loved the cow pies on the floor! There was a building filled with things to play on, like little gym props, little cars to push around, and a little corn maze. Another building had a mini farm on it and the kids got to be real farmers. We went at night so it was so busy! It felt like Disneyland where it is impossible to take a full step! At one time I noticed a group of policeman with bulletproof vests on and on the back it was printed, "Mesa Gang Enforcement." I said to Jaron, "That makes me nervous! Do I get a vest, too?" Then later we saw two gang-like teenagers running for their lives. I said to Jaron, "That makes me nervous too!" Then we were walking through the main section and a lady totally ran in to me from behind. I turned around to see what was going on and she said to her husband, "They are RUNNING!" I looked back and people were running from the middle area. Then I heard someone say, "They are SHOOTING!" and I heard a few pops. I looked at Jaron and said, "We need to run" He is so calm always. He said, "Running is how people are killed. We're ok." And he just quickly walked away. I would have been part of the stampede but good thing someone has a level head. Turns out, nothing happened. People really might have been running away but the popping were balloons from a game. We didn't see any police around or hear of any shootings, so I don't think it was serious but it scared me. We left a little while after that. Though we had a brush with gang activity, it was a fun night and we loved being at the fair. I don't know what it is. Maybe it is because I grew up going to the fair, but the fair just seems magical. The smell of greasy food, people staring at cows and sheep, money being spent on a six dollar corn dog, it is just magical! 

Vienna loved being a farmer.  This was her favorite part and she milked for ten minutes.  We should live on a farm!
The kids loved these toys and went crazy!  It was fun to watch them playing so hard!
We went on one ride and they let the parents go on it.  With two kids and me, we were quite squished!  Also, it went around in a million circles so I wanted to puke.  The kids had fun, so oh, well!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Good thing your husband is level headed, we would have been freaking out! That's crazy. I didn't realize the fair is going on right now, we'll have to get ourselves there!

Cameron, Shannon Voge said...

Bird! How are ya? We found your blog through Pali's blog. We can't believe how big your kids have gotten. We'll have to get together again next time we're in town. Visit our blog, Shannon does a good job at keeping it going: http://vogefamily.blogspot.com/

Alison said...

We are glad you guys found us. You have such a cute family. Tobin was especially glad to hear from you. His email address is tobinmcmurdie@gmail.com
Glad we can keep in touch now.

Scott and Jillian said...

Hi! We just moved to Peoria the end of August so Scott can go to Midwestern for podiatry! That's so awesome that you guys are down here! How are you doing?

Positively Creative! said...

I found your blog through Jan Hemp....glad to see you are a blogger too...hee hee.by the way thanks for your help with SSaturday..you should do it next year and maybe I will do a class!!

Dj,Megs & 5 Beautiful kids said...

Hey when did you make a blog? So glad that you came to join us. Hey if you want you can get me your address so that I can send you the picture I took of your family lastnight.